[Tutor] KeyError: 'DEFAULT'

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Thu Feb 19 21:40:02 CET 2009

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 2:34 PM, Isaac Eiland-Hall <daychilde at gmail.com> wrote:
> http://python.pastebin.com/m26864a1b
>

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>
>                 File "./loopy", line 328, in <module>
>

> set[current_set][current_section][current_key] = current_value
>
> KeyError: 'DEFAULT'

> So what I'm trying to do on line 328 is to store the current key/value pair
> in a dictionary under the proper section, which is in the proper set. Hence,
> set[setname][section][key]=value
>

> You can see my insanely-verbose log here:
>
> http://python.pastebin.com/m6dcfb96d
>

> That was from a run where I commented out line 328… (that dos the actual
>

> Googling "KeyError" seems to indicate problems while trying to *retrieve*
> values from a dictionary, whereas I'm trying to *set* values…

Yes, KeyError happens on retrieval. Maybe you don't realize you are
doing two retrievals, then a set:
  set[current_set][current_section][current_key] = current_value
means:
- retrieve the value of set[current_set]
- from the above value, retrieve the value associated with current_section
- in the above value, set the value associated with current_key.

I haven't looked at the code, but maybe current_set or current_section
is 'DEFAULT