[Tutor] Add readline capabilities to a Python build 2.6 on Ubuntu

Lie Ryan lie.1296 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 07:00:39 CET 2009

On Wed, 2009-02-25 at 22:23 -0700, Eric Dorsey wrote:
> Thanks for all your continued insights on this. I'm going to
> investigate the .configure log, as well as look around at other
> readline packages.. But, noob question, did you just go into something
> like synaptic to find out what readline type packages are installed?
> (Sorry if this is annoying anyone on the list, but its all in the name
> of getting the Python inerpreter to be happy !) Or did you do some
> kind of command line aptitude "list out readine stuff"?

Yeah, you can go to synaptic and and do a search. Alternatively, you
type "aptitude search readline" on the terminal (no need for sudo/root
access for search). If you found what you want to install, you can use
"sudo apt-get install <list-of-packages>" or "sudo aptitude install
<list-of-packages>". Synaptic is fine too, but not the "Add/Remove
Application", the "Add/Remove Application" allows you to install
applications not single packages.