[Tutor] setting PYTHONPATH on mac

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Fri Feb 27 10:16:28 CET 2009

<bmoll70 at att.net> wrote

>> how does one go about setting a PYTHON path environment variable on
>> Mac OS X 10.4?

Your subject asks about PYTHONPATH, your text asks about PATH.
These are two different things. Which do you want to know about?

PATH is how Unix (ie MacOS aka Darwin) finds your Python interpreter
PYTHONPATH is how python finds modules to import

> i set up my .profile in the Terminal.app (UNIX) with a text file
> with
> the following line:
> PATH=$PATH:/Applications/Autodesk/maya8.5/Maya.app/Contents/bin

They are both set that way but you need to export them to take
effect outside .profile

You can use:

export PATH=....
export PYTHONPATH=....
or
PATH=....
export PATH
PYTHONPATH=...
export PYTHONPATH

You might find this page helpful

http://club.mandriva.com/xwiki/bin/view/KB/BasicsBshell5

Or search the Apple help files there is a page there describing
the use of bash and bash_profile settings.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site