[Tutor] SMTP Module Help

Damon Timm damontimm at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 16:48:36 CET 2009

On 1/6/09, Marco Petersen <marco.m.petersen at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm using Python 2.5.4. I wanted to try out the SMTP module. I tried to send
> an email through my Gmail account but it keeps saying that the connection
> was refused.

I used this example to get emailing from python through gmail smtp to work:

http://codecomments.wordpress.com/2008/01/04/python-gmail-smtp-example/

Note, there are a couple errors in the code that prevent it from
working out-of-the-box ... however, if you read the comments they get
worked out.

Also, I think I would echo what the other folks mentioned here, is
that you probably need to specify the port (587) as in:

server = smtplib.SMTP('smtp.gmail.com', 587)

Damon