[Tutor] Interactive programming.

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Thu Jan 8 02:21:24 CET 2009

"Edwin Boyette" <edwin_boyette at yahoo.com> wrote

> Don't try to make interactive programming something its not.
> It's handy if you have something short to try out, want to
> evaluate a function at some value etc.
> Don't rage at the hammer for not being an allen wrench

But in this case it is a valid complaint. Almost every other IDE
with an interactive prompt does pro[per indentation, IDLE is the
exception. Yet IDLE is theone most beginners use first!

I think this is a really serious bug in Idle and is one of the main
reasons I always recommend beginners use Pythonwin or
PyCrust or some other shell window. The Idle editor windows
are fine but the shell window sucks!

Alan Gauld
Author of the Learn to Program web site