[Tutor] help

Brian Mathis brian.mathis at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 03:32:32 CET 2009

I'm also new to python, but I have another suggestion on what might be
going on.  If you downloaded the newly released python version 3.0, '
print "hello world" ' is a syntax error because in 3.0 the "print"
command has changed into a function.  The correct statement would now
be:
   print("Hello World")
including the ( ).

There are other changes too, which might cause other problems in the
tutorial you are using.  This is might be more confusing than you want
to deal with right now, so I'd recommend installing python 2.6
instead, since most tutorials will probably be written for that.  Once
you've got a handle on python, upgrade to 3.0.