[Tutor] python3.0 and tkinter on ubuntu 8.10

Vern Ceder vceder at canterburyschool.org
Tue Jan 13 22:02:48 CET 2009

Hi,

I have Python 3.0/Tkinter/IDLE working fine on Ubuntu 8.10, but it takes
a certain amount of fiddling.

1. Make sure the stock Ubuntu Python 3.0 package is not installed

2. download the Python 3.0 source from python.org

3. install the following packages: build-essential libsqlite3-dev
libreadline5-dev libncurses5-dev zlib1g-dev libbz2-dev libssl-dev
libgdbm-dev tk-dev

4. unpack the Python source and switch to that folder

5. build Python using the standard ./configure, make, make install
sequence - if you want more detail/help on that process, just ask...

I'd be happy to explain this process in more detail if anyone wants...

Cheers,
Vern

--
This time for sure!