[Tutor] A list of input arguments

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Tue Jan 13 22:20:10 CET 2009

"Kent Johnson" <kent37 at tds.net> wrote

>>> Is there any way to list the input arguments without listing them
>>> inside
>>> the function's parentheses?
>> No, because the function expects 3 arguments so you must pass it 3.
> You can use *args to pass multiple arguments in a list. For example,
> In [2]: values = [1, 2, 3]
> In [3]: show(*values)
> 1 2 3

Thats true although I read the question as meaning can I pass in an
arbitrary list of arguments even though the function takes 3... The
follow-on question seemed to back up that understanding. But it
could mean what you took it for in which case clearly the answer
is yes and *chords would have worked.

I cobfess I don;t like the *args style where the function takes a
number of params because I find it too easy to hide bugs by
passing the wrong number of args. Explicit is better etc...

Alan Gauld
Author of the Learn to Program web site