[Tutor] Active State Python with IDLE Python 2.5

Richard Lovely roadierich at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 14 12:17:28 CET 2009

The Activestate package IS vanilla python.  It just comes packaged
with a few addon modules for things such as ActiveX and with windows
GUI libraries.  If it works with Vanilla Python, there's virtually no
reason it won't work with the activestate distribution, and vice
versa, as long as you don't use any of the activestate modules in
applications you want to work on other operating systems.

It's like the TK modules, if you don't import them, you don't need to
worry about whether your users have them or not.

On 12/01/2009, Wayne Watson <sierra_mtnview at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Thanks. Is it possible to just disable the vanilla version? I may want to
> switch between the two. Most users of the program I'm about to modify use
> the vanilla version. At some point, I may want to go back to it to verify
> that in their world all is OK.
>

> Alan Gauld wrote:
>
> "Wayne Watson" <sierra_mtnview at sbcglobal.net> wrote
>
> I installed "Python" 2.5 a few months ago, and decided I'd like to try
> windowpy from ActiveState. Is having both of these installed going to
> cause me trouble?
>
> Multiple versions of Python should not be a problem provided you put
> them in different folders.
>
> C:\python25
>
> and
>
> C:\ASpython25
>
> for example
>
> You will have to remember which one is the default version (ie will
> be used when you double click a python file for example) but you
> can set things up to run both. But there is little point. If you are
> on Windows I'd personally uninstall the vanilla version and install
> the ActiveState version, it has a lot more features for Windows users.
>
> Alan G.

> --
>  Wayne Watson (Watson Adventures, Prop., Nevada City, CA)

 (121.01 Deg. W,
> 39.26 Deg. N) GMT-8 hr std. time)

 "What killed the electric car?
> Expensive batteries did."
 -- Physics for Future Presidents, Richard A.
> Muller

 Web Page: <www.speckledwithstars.net/>

Richard "Roadie Rich" Lovely, part of the JNP|UK Famile
www.theJNP.com