[Tutor] Non-blocking non-interactive graphics display

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Thu Jan 15 13:04:50 CET 2009

"David Williams" <andorphin at gmail.com> wrote

> I am looking for the simplest way of displaying a little positional
> data as a line graphic in a window as a script runs.

I got a bit lost in the description which followed but a couple of
things stood out:

> My problem is that using tkinter, it looks to be a bit difficult to
> get this to work since showing the window blocks the rest of the
> script from running.

That shouldn't happen if your code is event driven.
You manipulate the data, update the screen then stop and wait
for the next evernt (which could be a timer)

> I am not terribly familiar with threads and keen
> to avoid them if they are unnecessary.

It doesn't sound like you need threads for this.

> The display is non-interactive and so communication with it
> can be one-way.

You still want to use events but probabnly driven by timers

> Bonus points if it is part of the Enthought Python Distribution and
> pleasingly anti-aliased.

Sorry, I've never come across Envision before.

HTH,

--
Alan Gauld
Author of the Learn to Program web site