[Tutor] Question about pygame/tkinter interaction

Steve Willoughby steve at alchemy.com
Mon Jan 19 19:05:22 CET 2009

I have a game I'm porting to Python which is currently written
using TCL/Tk.  Now it would be fairly easy to make it work in
Python with Tkinter, of course, since the way the GUI would be
organized and implemented would be essentially the same.

However, I'd also like to implement some fancier (but minor)
animated effects and embed video and audio clips.  So I was
thinking that pygame (or pymedia) would be reasonable choices,
but I've never used either of those before.

Is it reasonable to expect that I could use Tkinter for
everything else, but use pygame/pymedia to handle things like
creating a video playback window on the screen, or is pygame
going to want to run the whole GUI event loop and screen updates
in competition with Tkinter?

Any general nudges in the right direction would be appreciated.
Thanks,
steve
--
Steve Willoughby    |  Using billion-dollar satellites
steve at alchemy.com   |  to hunt for Tupperware.