[Tutor] 2.5 vs 3k?

John Fouhy john at fouhy.net
Tue Jan 20 00:38:11 CET 2009

2009/1/20 W W <srilyk at gmail.com>:
> So, I'm curious about this whole python 3k thing. Is python migrating to 3k
> only? Will 2.x no longer be "officially" supported?

Python might be transitioning to 3.0, but the full migration will take
years.  Python 2.6 is not going away -- in fact, I see on python.org
that new versions of python 2.5 and 2.4 have just been released -- and
python 2.7 will come out in time.

> If so/not, what are some of the arguments for migrating to 3k? What makes it
> "better" than the python we all know and love?

You can see the short list of what's new/different here:
http://docs.python.org/3.0/whatsnew/3.0.html  If any of that appeals
to you, then go for it :-)

An argument for _not_ migrating (yet) is that most 3rd party libraries
are still python 2.x.  I expect they'll start to change, though, and
you might need to migrate eventually if you want access to new stuff.

--
John.