[Tutor] Find a Word in *.py (Win XP)

W W srilyk at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 16:56:22 CET 2009

You know, it probably wouldn't be terribly difficult to write the search in
python. Then you *could* find strings inside rather easily.

HTH,
Wayne

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 9:30 AM, Wayne Watson
<sierra_mtnview at sbcglobal.net>wrote:

>  Thanks. I'll post a msg to a XP group about this. I suspect Python hashes
> the code somehow.
>
> Findstr? Wow, that's got to be old. Where did you find that?
>

> Alan Gauld wrote:
>

> "Wayne Watson" <sierra_mtnview at sbcglobal.net><sierra_mtnview at sbcglobal.net>wrote
>
> Just using the standard Win XP Pro folder search.
> I target the folder with my py programs, use *.py to
> search, and specify I'm looking for angle in the files it finds.
>

> Yes, I get the same behaviour!
> I tried searching for 'import' which should be almost every file!
> It came up blank. When I tried tkinter it found one file with Tkinter
> in the file name. It seems it is not looking inside the file!
>
> Weird.
>
> However the DOS command findstr works as expected!
>
> Alan G

> --
>
>            Wayne Watson (Watson Adventures, Prop., Nevada City, CA)
>
>              (121.01 Deg. W, 39.26 Deg. N) GMT-8 hr std. time)            *         Copper and its alloys have been found effective in hospital
>          sinks, hand rails, beds, ... in significantly reducing
>          bacteria. Estimates are 1/20 people admitted to a hospital
>          become infected, and 1/20 die from the infection.
>                        -- NPR Science Friday, 01/16/2009 *****                    Web Page: <www.speckledwithstars.net/>

To be considered stupid and to be told so is more painful than being called
gluttonous, mendacious, violent, lascivious, lazy, cowardly: every weakness,
every vice, has found its defenders, its rhetoric, its ennoblement and
exaltation, but stupidity hasn't. - Primo Levi