[Tutor] Need help with python game program

Dave Angel davea at ieee.org
Wed Jul 1 04:29:47 CEST 2009

jonathan wallis wrote:

> My problem is simple, is their a way to make a variable equal multiple
> numbers? Such as X = 5 through 10, and then the program makes x  equal
> something random 5 through 10, or something similar.
> <much snipping>

For a short question, why did you quote an entire mailing list digest?

Answer to your question, certainly a variable can "equal" multiple
numbers.  Several ways:
   1) one at a time.   X=5, then later  X=7.332
   2) a list of values  X = [5.3, 8.001, 17, 2]
   3) a dictionary    X = {"tom":3, "dick":42, "harry":12}
   4) a class.  Sky's the limit here

As for random, look up the random.uniform() and random.randint() functions.

Did you have a particular programming language in mind?  I've been
assuming Python, but you might be thinking something else.  Have you any
experience in any other language?

DaveA