[Tutor] Python Tutorials: How to create useful programs afterlearning the syntax?

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Mon Jul 6 11:02:58 CEST 2009

"Luis Galvan" <cynicalairrick at gmail.com> wrote

> Hello all, this is my first time using a mailing list, so I'm not sure if
> I'm doing this right!

Yep. You send a mail to the list, we reply,. Easy :-)
One thing to remember is when you reply use "ReplyAll"
on your mail tool, not simple Reply.

> of programming. (I'm new to programming)  What I'm looking for is a
> tutorial
> series that walks you through the steps of writing a useful program in
> Python.

Try the Case Study in my tutorial, iot tales you through what is
supposed to be the typical evolution of an idea from a simple concept
(a word counter) to something grander (a grammar counter) then
adding a GUI front end. It is still somewhat contrioved since it is a
beginners tutorial adfter all, but it might give you some ideas.

There are also two rolling examples throughout the tutorial:
- a simple multiplication table printer in the early topics
- an address book which extends all the way to a full client-server
database driven program. (Eventually it will have a GUI and web
front end too! :-)

> Whether it be a text editor, a simple browser, etc,

Neither of those is particularly "simple"! You probably want to
moderate your expectations for your first projects.

> teach me how I can use everything I learned about manipulating strings,
> creating classes, and importing modules and how to stir it all up into
> something meaningful.

Hopefully my case study covers all of those.

--
Alan Gauld
Author of the Learn to Program web site