[Tutor] using datetime and calculating hourly average

John [H2O] washakie at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 19:16:47 CEST 2009

Alan Gauld wrote:

> I assume there is a good reason to use a numpy array instead of
> a regular list? ie You need a numpy array elsewhere in the code?
> I've never used numpy bt there is a possibility that array access
> is slower than list access, but I have no idea. It just adds an extra
> level of complexity thats all.

Yes, I use numpy a lot, my understanding is that is is quite a bit faster
than lists... but perhaps not in a case like this.

>> As for your comment regarding the invariant... would it be:
>> while hr q:
>>

> I think he meant
>
> while hr <= q
>
> as per your original code

Okay, thanks!

> I have no idea what this is doing but do you really mean a bitwise
> and here? You are effectively bitwise anding two boolean values
> which seems odd to put it mildly...

Well, effectively I am searching the array for values matching the criteria,
but maybe I don't understand the bitwise details. What I am trying to say
is:
" index = X where hr < X[:,0] < nhr "

I had problems though when I tried to code it as such:

ind = np.where((hr < X[:,0] < nhr))
this doesn't work, though you think it would...

> HTH,
> --
> Alan Gauld
> Author of the Learn to Program web site