[Tutor] Python Tutorials: How to create useful programs after learning the syntax?

wesley chun wescpy at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 09:54:28 CEST 2009

Robert, Emile, Malcolm,

wow, you guys are making me blush while hijacking this thread!
people are gonna start thinking i paid you off somehow LOL! :-)

seriously, thanks for the kudos. since i'm a technical instructor,
i wrote it not only from the software engineer's perspective, but
also a teacher's, and i know that nothing can substitute for the
experience gained when writing code in a language new to you.

the OP hit it right on the head -- he watched videos and studied
the syntax, but then what are you going to do with your newfound
knowledge? gotta put it to use. writing a full-scale hardcore ap-
plication, while effective, may get too large for your britches
and may be easily abandoned, making you less likely to pick it up
again later. the point of the short exercises is to get you going
and to get comfortable in order to adequately *prepare* you for
your first large project in your new favorite programming language!

anyway, off the soapbox with me. if anyone wants to read all the
good (and bad) reviews of the book on a single page, just go to
the book's website at http://corepython.com and click on the
reviews link on the left-hand side.

best regards!
-wesley

ps. for those of you who already have the book, be sure to download
the errata if you have an older printing... i had a long laundry
list of things that the publisher didn't get to until recently.
the latest printing of the book will have most of not all the cor-
rections already made, plus i've just added brand new appendices on
2.6 and 3.x to keep it current -- the book was developed during the
2.5 timeframe. i'm working with the publisher to make these 2 appen-
dices available to everyone who purchased earlier copies of the book.

"Python Web Development with Django", Addison Wesley, (c) 2009
http://withdjango.com

wesley.j.chun :: wescpy-at-gmail.com
http://cyberwebconsulting.com