[Tutor] segmentation fault

Emile van Sebille emile at fenx.com
Sun Jul 12 18:54:26 CEST 2009

On 7/12/2009 9:09 AM Rick Pasotto said...
> I've got a script that I wrote several years ago and have been happily
> using daily. Suddenly when I try to run it I get a segmentation fault.
>
> I'm running debian testing so probably some recent update caused the
> breakage. How can I find out what's gone wrong?

If you're certain it's not otherwise environmental (out of space, bad
memory or disk, packet flooding on network, etc), I'd try rolling back
recent changes if that's convenient.  Sometimes an strace on the process
leads me in the right direction.  If neither get you started, I'd try
littering print statements through the code the track progress and try
to narrow down where in the code it's happening.  I've sometimes
stumbled over a specific line causing the problem, and can eliminate the
problem by refactoring.  Be sure to report what you find upstream.

There are probably other ways to isolate the problem depending on your
focus.  Maybe someone will point you in those directions.

Of course, this is not entirely unexpected when you're running testing.
  It could resolve itself on its own.

Emile