[Tutor] objects becoming pointers

Rich Lovely roadierich at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 15 17:33:00 CEST 2009

2009/7/15 chris Hynes <cjhynes36 at hotmail.com>:
> I guess I have to start somewhere to ask............
> I want the user to input a name, say "Chris". I know I can use the code:
> name=raw_input()
> I now want:
> "Chris"=zeros((3,3))
> so that when I type:
> print Chris
> the return will be an array of zero's 3x3
> So that I can understand this deeper, I know that "name" is just a pointer
> to the object "Chris". I don't want to just change the pointer to something
> else, like "zeros((3,3))" but I want to make "Chris" become the pointer or
> the name of the pointer. At least that's what I think I want.

Sorry if I've sent this twice...

Why would you want to do that?

The closest you can get to that is using exec, but exec is usually
considered a code smell.  I'd say you're trying to do the wrong thing.

Rich "Roadie Rich" Lovely
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who know binary,
those who do not, and those who are off by one.