[Tutor] pyparsing complex search

Paul McGuire ptmcg at austin.rr.com
Fri Jul 17 05:36:56 CEST 2009

> Hi Paul. Thanks. I would like to get better at pyparsing. Can you
> recommend a good resource for learning. I am finding that what info I
> have found on the subject (on the web) isn't really explaining it from
> the ground up as much as I would like.

Hrmmm, not sure what to recommend - I might just point you back to what you
have already tried.  Where are you looking and what are you finding?

The pyparsing source package comes with a directory of examples and htmldoc
class documentation.  If you just used the easy_install or the Win32 install
package, these directories get omitted - try downloading the source package
from SourceForge.

There is also quite a bit of info at the pyparsing wiki, at
http://pyparsing.wikispaces.com.  The Discussion tab on the home page has
over 1200 posted messages in various discussion threads of people seeking
help.  You can also visit the Documentation page for some links to
presentations that have been given on pyparsing.

For basic getting-started type stuff, I'd recommend:
- the PyCon'06 presentations I gave -
Introduction to Pyparsing - http://wiki.python.org/moin/PyCon2006/Talks#1
An Interactive Adventure Game Engine Built Using Pyparsing -
http://wiki.python.org/moin/PyCon2006/Talks#4

- the OnLAMP article (free, but a little old now) -
http://onlamp.com/pub/a/python/2006/01/26/pyparsing.html

- the 3 articles I wrote for Python Magazine in the past year (not free,
you'll have to buy back-issues)
Writing a simple Interpreter/Compiler with Pyparsing -
http://pymag.phparch.com/c/issue/view/74
Advanced Pyparsing: Implementing a JSON Parser Using Results Names -
http://pymag.phparch.com/c/issue/view/79
Create Your Own Domain-Specific Language in Python With Imputil and
Pyparsing - http://pymag.phparch.com/c/issue/view/96

- the O'Reilly e-book I wrote (also not free, costs $10) - Getting Started
with Pyparsing - http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596514235/

Does this help?

-- Paul