[Tutor] Pygame

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Mon Jul 20 09:42:38 CEST 2009

"Mazhar Hussain" <yam.matt at gmail.com> wrote

> Hello All! My name is Mazhar Hussain, and I am new to python,

Welcome to the tutor list

> new to programming as a whole. I dont know if its the right list to talk
> about this.

Yes, we are here to help people learning Python, many of whom
are also learning programming. There are a set of tutorials on the
Python web site specifically designed for new programmers, here:

http://wiki.python.org/moin/BeginnersGuide/NonProgrammers

You will notice one of these is specifically targetted at games writers.

> I am really interested in 2d games, especially 2d games. I am also
> interested in making games.

I guess you might like games?

> called pygame. But the main games I want to create are: a pokemon clone,
> megaman battle network clone and a world of goo like game.

I can't really help there, I've only heard of pokemon and never even seen
it!
Buty Pygame can produce a lot of games and even standard python can
deliver simple interactive games. Unless you want the very fastest shoot
'em up type games Pygame should suffice. And if you do want the fastest
shoot 'em up you have an awful lot of learning to do first!! :-)

> If it can then I'll start learning python right away but if it cant then
> think I may better find another language.

If you start learning python you will probably learn the fundamentals of
programming much faster than if you use abnother language. Even if
you then move to something else more "hard core" - like C++ -  you will
find the lessons you learned in Python still apply. Once you know one
programming language learning a new one is very much easier.

Finally, stick to Python v2 just now, Python v3 is not best suited to
beginners yet.

--
Alan Gauld
Author of the Learn to Program web site