[Tutor] Question from a newbie

John jfabiani at yolo.com
Wed Jul 22 16:12:38 CEST 2009

On Tuesday 21 July 2009 11:12:23 am Deb wrote:
> My son suggested I play around with Python.  I was wondering if anybody has
> any real life applications?  It appears to be able to do quite a lot, but
> is anybody really doing it with Python?  I am very curious about this
> language. I used to be a Clipper programmer in another life (dBASE
> compiler), and got sick when I was just entering the OOP world via Visual
> Basic and had to quit I just recently got my brain back, thanks to medical
> science, and would like to learn all I can about what it out there these
> days.
>
> Thanks,

Then you'll love Dabo (www.dabodev.com) which is built on python, wxPython,
and supports databases like Postgres, MsSQL, MySQL, Firebird, and SQLite.
The thinking is very similar to Visual FoxPro.  Classes are close and the
coding is close.  If you ever used any of the VFP (clipper) frameworks then
it will be old hat.

Johnf