[Tutor] Need to start learning again

Wayne srilyk at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 05:38:26 CEST 2009

On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 6:24 PM, Fred @ Mac <fredp101 at mac.com> wrote:

> I started learning python, but then life got busy...  I need some help
> finding good resources to start learning again.

I learned everything I know from Google ;) or at least sources provided by
Google. I'd also recommend Python for System Administrators by Noah Gift and
Jeremy Jones. If it's available at your local public library, I'd check it
out (and well worth the $15 price used).

> My main need for python at first would be to write small programs to
> perform system commands.  Like moving files around, copying or deleting
> files, and perhaps some simple interface construction so I can create a
> window to show the status of the little programs i plan to write.

Python for Sys admins covers all of the above. If you want a very simple
interface, I'd go with Tkinter. It's a lot easier to use than some of the
bigger GUIs, like GTK, but it also sacrifices a lot of features to go with
that simplicity.

A couple  of folks on this mailing list have python tutorials that are
certainly worth a read.

HTH,
Wayne