[Tutor] array manipulations

NTB ntb1088 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 02:48:11 CEST 2009

Hello,
I'm an R user, who just started with numpy.  I'm planning on setting up a
large nutrient database.  Here's my question:

I'm trying to reshape? or manipulate? the following array:

  array [['Food 1', 'Nutrient 1', 0.9],
            ['Food 1', 'Nutrient 2', 0.2],
            ['Food 2', 'Nutrient 1', 0.55],
            ['Food 2', 'Nutrient 2', 0.11]]

into a new array that looks like this:

array [['Food 1', 0.9, 0.2],
         ['Food 2', 0.55, 0.11]]

or more simply:

array [[0.9, 0.2],
         [0.55, 0.11]]

In other words, the data and shape that I need in the first array is the 3rd
column, where the row names are the 1st column and the column names are the
2nd column.

I am thinking that I need to use .flat(), maybe with some kind of list
comprehension?  I really don't know, and would really appreciate some help.

Thanks!

-NT