[Tutor] Suggested source code folder layout

Allen Fowler allen.fowler at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 8 20:12:03 CEST 2009

> My 2 cents...
>
> 1) Since you are describing your source code layout, any virtual
> environment should be outside. A virtual environment (virtualenv) is
> part of deployment and not part of source. If you need to make a
> reproducible deployment environment, then you need a deployment system
> such as zc.buildout. You would store just the recipe for the
> environment in source, but not the resulting buildout. Your build
> recipe will typically go in the top of your source tree.
>
> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/zc.buildout/

Good point about keeping the virtualenv out of the source tree in favor of "recipe", and copying the modules to lib or site-packages upon deployment.

zc.buildout seems like a powerful tool, but I'm not at all clear on how to use it for this sort of task. (All the tutorials I can find to seem to zope related.)

Do you have any examples you can share?