[Tutor] GUI recommendations/tutorials?

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Wed Jun 10 23:21:40 CEST 2009

"taserian" <taserian at gmail.com> wrote

> My problem is that I have no GUI experience outside of Visual
> Studio-style
> drag-and-drop IDEs. Which Python GUI system would you recommend for
> neophytes that would allow line drawing and a simple graphic load of a
> honeycomb structure in a JPG, for example, as a background?

The two most common Python GUI frameworks are Tkinter (in the
standard library) and wxPython - an add on. Both have a canvas
widget that will cater to your requirements fairly easily.

Another approach might be to investigate pygame since it excells
at graphics. There are a couple of other options too but I suspect
a simple canvas widget is nearly all you need and Tkinter or
wxPython will both procvidfe that.

There are several tutorials (and at least 1 book) for either option.

The GUI programming topic on my tutorial will give you the very
bare bones and show an example in both frameworks for
comparison.

--
Alan Gauld
Author of the Learn to Program web site