[Tutor] GUI recommendations/tutorials?

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Wed Jun 10 23:21:40 CEST 2009

"taserian" <taserian at gmail.com> wrote

> My problem is that I have no GUI experience outside of Visual
> Studio-style
> drag-and-drop IDEs. Which Python GUI system would you recommend for
> neophytes that would allow line drawing and a simple graphic load of a
> honeycomb structure in a JPG, for example, as a background?

The two most common Python GUI frameworks are Tkinter (in the
standard library) and wxPython - an add on. Both have a canvas
widget that will cater to your requirements fairly easily.

Another approach might be to investigate pygame since it excells
at graphics. There are a couple of other options too but I suspect
a simple canvas widget is nearly all you need and Tkinter or
wxPython will both procvidfe that.

There are several tutorials (and at least 1 book) for either option.

The GUI programming topic on my tutorial will give you the very
bare bones and show an example in both frameworks for

Alan Gauld
Author of the Learn to Program web site