[Tutor] Syntax Error First Example

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Thu Jun 11 12:54:07 CEST 2009

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 10:02 PM, Randy Trahan<mattie289404 at gmail.com> wrote:

> First, I am suppose to put this in the script mode vs the IDLE mode correct?
> He failed to mention where..

Generally the "Python Shell" window is for interactive exploration and
to see the results of your scripts. To type in a complete program use
a new editing window (File / New).

You might find this tour of IDLE to be helpful:
http://hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu/~dyoo/python/idle_intro/

> Also, I get a syntax error at "input"? Since its my first day/hour I don't
> know how to debug and its typed in exactly as he wrote it...

It's very helpful to us if you copy and paste the exact error text,
including the traceback, when you ask for help with errors.

Welcome to Python!
Kent