[Tutor] Need a Solution!

Raj Medhekar cosmicsand27 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 11 20:59:50 CEST 2009

This email contains another modified code that I tried working with but still doesn't do the job right, although performs closer to what i want. I have been having some difficulty modifying this program to where a
player has limited number of guesses and if he fails to guess correctly
within that number he is asked to "Try Again" The original program code
and the code that I modified are given below. Thanks for your help.

Sincerely,
Raj

The Original program code:

# Guess my number
#
# The computer picks a random number between 1 and 100
# The player tries to guess it  and the computer lets
# the player know if the guess is too high, too low
# or right on the money

import random

print "\tWelcome to 'Guess My Number'!"
print "\nI'm thinking of a number between 1 and 100."
print "Try to guess it in as few attempts as possible.\n"

# set the initial values
the_number = random.randrange(100)+1
guess = int(raw_input("Take a guess:"))
tries = 1

#guessing loop
while guess != the_number:
    if guess > the_number:
        print "Lower..."
    else:
        print "Higher..."

    guess = int(raw_input("Take a guess:"))
    tries += 1

print "You guessed it! The number was", the_number
print "And it only took you", tries, "tries!\n"

raw_input("\n\nPress the enter key to exit")

My modifications that don't quite work right in the code:

# Guess my number (Modified for Chapter 3 Challenge 3)
#
# The computer picks a random number between 1 and 100
# The player tries to guess it  and the computer lets
# the player know if the guess is too high, too low
# or right on the money
# The player has only Five guesses in which to guess correctly
# otherwise he loses and is asked to try again
# and the game ends

import random

print "\tWelcome to 'Guess My Number'!"
print "\nI'm thinking of a number between 1 and 100."
print "Try to guess it in as few attempts as possible.\n"

# set the initial values
the_number = random.randrange(100)+1
guess = int(raw_input("Take a guess:"))
tries = 1

#guessing loop
while guess != the_number:
    if guess > the_number:
        print "Lower..."
    else:
        print "Higher..."

    while tries < 5:
        if guess == the_number:
            print "You're right, the number is",the_number
        else:
            print "try again"
        guess = int(raw_input("Take a guess:"))
        tries += 1

raw_input("\n\nPress the enter key to exit")

Modified Code #2 (Better than the last one but still not right)
# Guess my number (Modified for Chapter 3 Challenge 3)
#
# The computer picks a random number between 1 and 100
# The player tries to guess it  and the computer lets
# the player know if the guess is too high, too low
# or right on the money
# The player has only Five guesses in which to guess correctly
# otherwise he loses and is asked to try again
# and the game ends

import random

print "\tWelcome to 'Guess My Number'!"
print "\nI'm thinking of a number between 1 and 100."
print "Try to guess it in as few attempts as possible.\n"

# set the initial values
the_number = random.randrange(100)+1
guess = int(raw_input("Take a guess:"))
tries = 1

#guessing loop
while guess != the_number and tries <5:
    if guess > the_number:
        print "Lower..."
    else:
        print "Higher..."

    guess = int(raw_input("Take a guess:"))
    tries += 1

    if tries > 5:
        guess == the_number
        print "You're right"
    else:
        print "You lose"

raw_input("\n\nPress the enter key to exit")