[Tutor] 3.0 on Mac

Dave Angel davea at ieee.org
Fri Jun 12 05:54:08 CEST 2009

acfleck  wrote:

> I'm a Python nubie and having trouble with 3.0.1 on Mac (10.4.11). I
> did a default install of MacPython 3.0.1. The IDLE.app works fine, but
> from a Terminal window, the 'python' command still gets me V2.5.3 (the
> original Apple installed version). A 'python3' command is not
> recognized. I'd like to know what I need to change to access V3.0.1
> from a Terminal window.

Use the 'which' command to see what versions of python are on your
PATH.  Then, since you have two different versions of Python you want
available, create one or more scripts (on your path), to explicitly run
the other installed versions.  Probably, those scripts can be one line
each, though you also might conceivably want to set an environment
variable or two (such as pythonpath)

As far as I know, the install will not create a script called python3,
or anything else like it.  That's up to you.  And it's generally not
good form to hide the system-installed version, since many utilities and
scripts might depend on that particular version.