[Tutor] Best Python Editor

Wayne srilyk at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 02:57:50 CEST 2009

On Sat, Jun 13, 2009 at 7:40 PM, Mike Hoy <hoym74 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Try out Vim. It may take you a week to get used to it. Best thing I ever
> did was finally get started on Vim. Once I got used to it I was very happy.
> Google around for Vim tutorials. There is a #VIM channel on freenode I
> believe. There is also a VIM mailing list that is very helpful. You won't
> need these for long. Once you get used to it and think you've learned all
> you can you find out there's even more stuff you can do with it.
> <snip>
>
> So it's something that you use for life once you get that feeling of
> enlightenment that comes from never having to remove your hands from the
> keyboard.

I'm another viim fanatic;

I use two terminals - one with vim and one with ipython (I write most of my
code on linux). When I'm on windows I have a cmd window open with Ipython
and I have a gVim window open. I'm sure I barely scratch the surface of
things I can do and I know I've stopped using some things that I'm sure I'll
start using the more I code.

I really like using F5 to run my code, so you can put in your .vimrc so you
don't have to type it, or just type it every time:

map <F5> :!python %<Enter>

and every time you hit <F5> it will run your current script.

Of course I also write code in c++ for school, so I have a few different
keys that will change the F5 bindings.

Anyhow, the best way to write code is in what you're most comfortable with
and enjoy. And of course I believe that everyone should enjoy vim ;)

But you should give all the aforementioned tools a try and see what works
best for you.
HTH!
Wayne