[Tutor] Best Python Editor

Tom Green xchimeras at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 12:55:08 CEST 2009

Since VIM seems to be the editor of choice and I have been programming in
Python for many years using Pyscripter and Eclipse I was wondering how I
could transition away from the IDE world to VIM.  My main issue is how do I
go about using VIM to debug my code?  With Pyscripter and other IDES its as
simple as placing a breakpoint and pressing F7 to step thru the code and you
have the ability to see the variable values etc.  Also, with an IDE such as
Pyscripter when calling a function a nice balloon hint appears showing you
the number of parameters and their types.  Coming from a Visual Studio
background this is great, as I might be calling a function or method and I
don't know off hand the values.  Maybe someone could share how they go about
programming a good size program with VIM as I would like to use it.  Don't
get me wrong for quick programs I will use VIM or notepad, but when it comes
to building a OOP program I find Eclipse or Pyscripter much easier to use.

Regards,
T. Green