[Tutor] Best Python Editor

Michael Powe michael at trollope.org
Mon Jun 15 21:14:57 CEST 2009

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 06:34:04AM -0700, Emile van Sebille wrote:
> On 6/15/2009 2:49 AM Tom Green said...

> >Yes, vim or any text editor is suitable for Python, but I
> >prefer having a nice GUI interface while coding.  I mean the automobile
> >replaced the horse and buggy, while they both get you to your
> >destination I would still rather travel in a car.

> Anyone know of any studies comparing text based vs GUI IDE based code
> development?  As I recall, programming productivity is measured in
> LOC/day and last time I noticed it seemed to be a very small number.

> I'm wondering if there might be documented benefits to migrating from my
> horse and buggy.  :)

Are you in a hurry to get somewhere?  ;-)

I recently worked on a module for a large existing Java application.
The module I wrote had to be plugged in to the existing code base.  So
of course, I had to have all kinds of tie-ins to existing libraries
and classes.  First, I couldn't run the full application, so I had to
rely on unit testing to verify my functionality.  Second, I had to
connect to hundreds of classes inside the application.  I'm not that
smart -- I could not have done it without NetBeans, which has
fantastic introspection and can tell me most of the ways I'm violating
protocol while I'm working.

I stubbed out a lot of stuff and prototyped in jEdit.  But when it was
game on, I had to go to NB.  It probably comes down to, How much stuff
can you carry in your head?

Thanks.

mp