[Tutor] Help with photo wall

Luke Paireepinart rabidpoobear at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 21:57:17 CEST 2009

Jacob Mansfield wrote:
> thank you Luke,
> It's a bit more complicated than that, all the images are in one
> massive jpg file similar to those in
> http://cdn.nhl.com/ducks/images/upload/2008/06/FanPhotos3.jpg
So they're not lined up? they overlap?  Do they have to be in one
massive jpg?  Do they have to overlap?
Do you know exactly the location of every image?
> also the joystick is a usb module so I didn't think that would work.
pygame.joystick supports any kind of joystick.  Did you try it?  It
works fine for me w/ a Microsoft Sidewinder 2 USB joystick.
> with regards to the wasd keys there is a glitch that you have to keep
> tapping them.
Keep tapping them to do what?  What is the specific glitch?
> I also might be able to get the usb adapter in tome so would like to
> use the arrow keys as a backup.
This sentence doesn't make sense to me.  What does tome mean?  Did you
mean you might not be able to get a USB adapter?  Why would you need an
adapter if the joystick is USB already?
> btw do you have any info on the pygame.movie module as i would like to
> show a YouTube vid first then go immediately into the main program,
> but the system must wait until I am ready to start which I would
> signal with the space bar. sorry for being a pain. but thanks a bunch
I don't think the pygame.movie module supports flv's.  I would rip the
video off of youtube and recompress it as an mpeg.  you can use VLC to
do this.  Then pygame.movie is simple, you just load it in and play it.
However, it doesn't work very well on Windows in some cases.  Someone
just released an alpha version of their media player (they announced it
on the pygame mailing list), that uses VLC as a back-end - that would
probably even be able to play the original FLV.
as for not progressing to the photo wall until after you press space...
I feel like you could've figured that one out on your own.
Just have a flag such as state="PLAYING" and put all your Wall code in
an if statement such as 'if state == "WALL"', and then after you play
the video, just wait until you get a "space" and then set state="WALL"
and it will automatically switch states.  There are a myriad of other
ways you could solve this as well, that's just one possibility.

I don't mean to be condescending but it looks like I'm the only one
helping you so far, and you have a very tight schedule, and I don't have
a whole lot of time to help, so you would be best served by only asking
those questions you can't figure out on your own.  So try more stuff and
keep trying it until you run into severe roadblocks, and I'll provide a
gentle nudging to get you over them.
See http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
<http://catb.org/%7Eesr/faqs/smart-questions.html> for more information
on why this style of asking questions benefits both you and me.