[Tutor] character counter

Christian Witts cwitts at compuscan.co.za
Mon Jun 29 08:18:10 CEST 2009

julie wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I need help with the following problem:
>
> *Write a loop that reads each line of a file and counts the number of
> lines that are read until the total length of the lines is 1,000
> characters. Use a break statement to make sure that you don't continue
> reading the file once the 1,000 characters are read.
>
> I figured out how to open a file, count and print the lines, however I
> cannot figure out or find online ...or anywhere else how to count
> characters in a file. This is what i have so far:
>
> file = open("/Users/meitalamitai/Documents/Computer
> Science/Python/Homework/Lorem_Ipsum.py")
> lines = 0
> for line in file:
>     lines=lines+1
> print '%r has %r lines' % ("Lorem_Ipsum.py", lines)
>    if char >= 1000:
>         break      *
>
> Thanks!

Depends what you classify as a character.  If it is any character then
what Emile said about len(line) will be fine, if it is to exclude
new-line characters then you will need to strip them off and then do a
length or if it is just printable characters then maybe look at string
translation tables and the string.replace methods to cull out what you
do not need.

--
Kind Regards,
Christian Witts