[Tutor] What does the L at the end of a number means?

wesley chun wescpy at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 02:22:36 CET 2009

> I have started learning phyton today!
> I was playing around with some large numbers (fibonacci series)
> and noticed that in some large calculations results have an "L" at the end
> of a number.
> Does this L stands for Large? Is there any way to disable this feature, so
> that all numbers are shown?

hi, and welcome to Python!  yes, the "L" can mean "large," but
officially, it means "long". What version of Python are you using?
The reason why i ask is because long integers have been rolled into
the existing integer type and the "L" should no longer be showing up
as it is being phased out since the 2.2 release. They are completely
gone in 3.0.

cheers,
-- wesley
"Python Fundamentals", Prentice Hall, (c)2009
    http://corepython.com

wesley.j.chun :: wescpy-at-gmail.com
http://cyberwebconsulting.com