[Tutor] animation with Tkinter canvas

Mr Gerard Kelly gerard.kelly at uqconnect.edu.au
Tue Mar 3 10:05:21 CET 2009

Hello, I am attempting to make a simple animation of a vibrating string using Tkinter canvas.
I haven't been able to find much information on how to do it.
I have my data of position x on the string at time t. I can plot it with Tkinter showing the string for all times at once:

width=1500
height=300
root = Tk()
root.title("SinWave")
canvas = Canvas(width=width,height=height,bg='white')

linecoords=[]
for i in range(mi):
  for j in range(ni):
    linecoords.append(width*x[j])
    linecoords.append(height*(1/2+U[i,j]))
  canvas.create_line(linecoords,fill='black')

root.update()

canvas.pack()
mainloop()

Now I know that to get animation involves a root.update() and a root.update_idletasks() somewhere but I can't figure out how to use these!

Thank you for your help.

-Gerard.