[Tutor] could someone explain why this happens to me.

Emad Nawfal (عماد نوفل) emadnawfal at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 20:47:40 CET 2009

On Sat, Mar 7, 2009 at 2:36 PM, Kapsicum <duakapil at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 12:39 AM, sphennings W. <sphennings at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> When I enter the following code into IDLE  do both lists have the same
>> value?
>> How would I manipulate both lists separately?

>> [3, 2, 1]
>> [3, 2, 1]
>> [3, 2, 1, 0]
>> [3, 2, 1, 0]
>

> When you create an object and assign it to a variable, the variable only
> refers to the object
> and does not represent the object itself.
>

> If you want to make a copy of a list or such kinds of sequences , then you
> have to use
> the slicing operation to make a copy. If you just assign the variable name
> to another name,
> both of them will refer to the same object.
>
> List2=List1[ : ]
>

> Kapil Dua
> Mobile: +919711311052

> This made me search, and I found another solution: if you use the list
function as follows:
>>> s = [1,2,3]
>>> v = list(s)
>>> s.reverse()
>>> s
[3, 2, 1]
>>> v
[1, 2, 3]

As a linguist, I would love to know what the difference between  these
things are:
mycopy = original[:]
mycopy = copy.deepcopy(original)
mycopy = list(original)

--
لا أعرف مظلوما تواطأ الناس علي هضمه ولا زهدوا في إنصافه كالحقيقة.....محمد
الغزالي

Emad Soliman Nawfal
Indiana University, Bloomington
http://emnawfal.googlepages.com