[Tutor] probelm pyhton shell doesnt open help please

Martin Walsh mwalsh at mwalsh.org
Mon Mar 9 05:18:10 CET 2009

mustafa akkoc wrote:

> it gives this message socket error

<image text>
IDLE's subprocess didn't make a connection. Either IDLE can't start a
subprocess or personal firewall software is blocking the connection.
</image text>

IIRC, this was once a known issue with IDLE when combined with the
windows firewall service, or when running multiple instances of IDLE
(perhaps inadvertently). But, I'm having difficulty tracking down the
pertinent bug report(s) -- maybe these have been fixed? or I'm just
tired, probably the latter.

A couple of suggestions from memory ...
1. Check the process/task list for errant pythonw.exe processes, and end
them.
2. Launch IDLE with the -n flag from a terminal (command prompt).
3. Report back to the list with your results, and include the python and
windows version info if you continue to have trouble.

HTH,
Marty

PS. Keep in mind, some of us won't see images you post to the list so
you should generally include a text version of error messages whenever
possible. Or at least, note when you've included an image so that those
with sufficient interest can make the extra effort to view it, if
necessary.