[Tutor] Executing a C Program from RH Linux in Python for Win

Marc Tompkins marc.tompkins at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 18:05:24 CET 2009

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 10:02 AM, Marc Tompkins <marc.tompkins at gmail.com>wrote:

> If you want to run a non-Windows executable on Windows, you need to use an
> alternate shell - someone mentioned Cygwin - although I'm not certain that
> even that will do it for you.  What makes an executable OS-specific is not
> the language it's written in, but the libraries that it's compiled/linked
> with. If you have access to the source code, the simplest thing would
> probably be to recompile it on your own machine...  the GCC (Gnu Compiler
> Collection) is free.

Nope, just checked the Cygwin page:
What Isn't Cygwin?

Cygwin is *not* a way to run native linux apps on Windows. You have to
rebuild your application *from source* if you want it to run on Windows.
Cygwin is *not* a way to magically make native Windows apps aware of UNIX ®
functionality, like signals, ptys, etc. Again, you need to build your
apps *from
source* if you want to take advantage of Cygwin functionality.

--
www.fsrtechnologies.com