[Tutor] Guidance needed for script

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Mon May 11 09:59:16 CEST 2009

"rony dsouza" <rony_dsouza at yahoo.com> wrote

> Using GnuPG to encrypt a file(s) on linux. Essentially two modes of
> operation would be ideal:

You might find the GPG module useful but it is sadly no longer maintained
by AMK(since 2006). So it may not work in recent versions of Python.

There is mention of someone possibly picking it up...

There is also something called PyMe which is an interface to GPGMe

> 1. Running something like “./encrypt.py inputfilename.txt” which will
> output a file called
> “inputfilename.txt.pgp”.
> 2. The ability to pipe input into “encrypt.py” and have it write out in
> encrypted format.
> Something like “echo thisistestdata | ./encrypt.py > encrypted.pgp”.

The use of stdin/stdout for piping and the use of command line arguments
are both covered in the 'Talking to the User' topic of my tutorial.

Alan Gauld
Author of the Learn to Program web site