[Tutor] The use of leading underscore in names

The Green Tea Leaf thegreentealeaf at gmail.com
Tue May 12 15:24:16 CEST 2009

The Python style guide says

"Use one leading underscore only for non-public methods and instance variables."

Have I understood correctly if I say that this is purely a convention
and there is nothing in the language that says that it should be this
way and that nothing special happens (except that it affects the 'from
X import *'). And no I don't intend to break this, I just want to
check that I've understood correctly.

(I understand the name mangling feature of double underscore)

--
The Green Tea Leaf   thegreentealeaf at gmail.com   thegreentealeaf.blogspot.com