[Tutor] Calling method in parent class

spir denis.spir at free.fr
Wed May 13 10:44:34 CEST 2009

Le Tue, 12 May 2009 23:23:02 +0100,
"Alan Gauld" <alan.gauld at btinternet.com> s'exprima ainsi:

> But calling the method of a superclass from the same method is very,
> very common.
[...]

Yep, for sure; and I was not discussing this actually.
(1) In fact, the whole exchange started when the OP asked how to call 2 different methods on the same object, one beeing defined on on its own class, the other one on the parent class. Which I still think is design fault.
(2) In the same post, I pointed to the above exception, with the example of __init__. But note that it's not actually calling on the same object: (2) is not in fact a special case of (1).

Then someone stated that, except for __init__, this should be considered wrong. You and Kent disagreed (and indeed I do too). But discussions on points (1) and (2) have been messed up. (I have never stated that (2) is wrong.)

Denis
------
la vita e estrany