[Tutor] Find files without __doc__ strings

David david at abbottdavid.com
Sun May 17 03:46:02 CEST 2009

I am doing an exercise in Wesley Chun's book. Find files in the standard
  library modules that have doc strings. Then find the ones that don't,
"the shame list". I came up with this to find the ones with;
#!/usr/bin/python
import os
import glob
import fileinput
import re

pypath = "/usr/lib/python2.6/"
fnames = glob.glob(os.path.join(pypath, '*.py'))

def read_doc():
     pattern = re.compile('"""*\w')
     for line in fileinput.input(fnames):
         if pattern.match(line):
             print 'Doc String Found: ', fileinput.filename(), line

read_doc()

There must have been an easier way :)

Now I have a problem, I can not figure out how to compare the fnames
with the result fileinput.filename() and get a list of any that don,t
have doc strings.

thanks