[Tutor] Find a good linux distribution with python.

Michael Bernhard Arp Sørensen michael at arpsorensen.dk
Mon May 25 10:57:36 CEST 2009

Hi Lloyd.

I did not take offense about the comment on Ubuntu. It was an old joke and
it made me smile.... again. :-)

I've used Debian before, but I have moved to Ubuntu because Debian takes
forever to release a new version. Almost as long as Microsoft. I like Debian
based distro the most.

To all the others who was kind enough to contribute to this thread:

Your points are taken. I think I'll stick a "normal" vanilla Linux distro
and avoid any unnecessary setup. I particularly liked the idea of not
cluttering my local environment with too much special setup since I write
code for others than myself.

One of the more serious issues in the past was the use of Amara (an XML
parser). Amara is now a part of Debian and Ubuntu, which eliminates the need
for a special build of the module.

I just wished that Python was upgraded in the distros. If I want to play
with Python3, I will need to compile it my self and specify which Python
interpretor to use in each Python file. But this is a small problem.

I'm very fond of using emacs for many purposes besides coding in Python. It
keeps me productive when I don't have a "writers block". :-) To me a good
linux distro contains all the great modes for Emacs and the newest version
of Emacs and Python.

Thank you all very much.

Med venlig hilsen/Kind regards

Michael B. Arp Sørensen
Programmer / BOFH

"If you want to enter my network while I'm out, you can find my SSH-key
under my mouse mat" - Michael Bernhard Arp Sørensen