[Tutor] IP-range

W W srilyk at gmail.com
Mon May 25 17:39:46 CEST 2009

On Sun, May 24, 2009 at 10:18 PM, Paras K. <paras80 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I came across your answer / assistance on the IP range. I am fairly new to
> the python world of programming. However, up to this point I have always
> been able to get my programs to work by reading the books or following the
> guides I find through google.com
>
> Here is what I have to do:
>
> I have to read a number of cvs files into 1 large file. (I have been able
> to get that done through a perl script). But after I get it into a large cvs
> file, I need to be able to look at each row and see if it falls within a
> specific IP ranges.
>
> IP Ranges:
>
> 162.x.x.x
> 151.130.x.x
> 145.x.x.x
>
> These are just some examples of the IP ranges.
>
> The csv file has data like below:

   63.145.40.32 Gnutella File Search 14 5/15/2009 0:48  151.40.133.25 Gnutella
> File Search 14 5/14/2009 16:21  145.133.19.147 BitTorrent Client Activity
> 13 5/14/2009 19:20

<snip>

You know, unless you have an ulterior reason for merging all the files, you
could probably just read each of them with a loop in python. Or use python
to build the main file - which would eliminate your need for that error
check.

Assuming that the first element in the line will always be the IP, this
should help:

In [12]: myline = '192.168.1.1 Gnutella File Search 24 5/15/2009 0:48'

In [15]: ip = myline.split(' ')[0]

In [16]: split_ip = ip.split('.')

In [17]: split_ip
Out[17]: ['192', '168', '1', '1']