[Tutor] creating interactive program with python

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Fri May 29 03:31:37 CEST 2009

"Andre Walker-Loud" <walksloud at gmail.com> wrote

> 1) I am trying to trying to figure out how I would set up an
> interactive python script, however, I am having trouble googling this,
> since a search for "interactive python" just returns instructions on
> how to type "python" in a terminal to get an "interactive" session....

Check out the Talking to the User topic in my tutorial.

It covers interactive prompting and use of command line arguments.

> 3) I see iPython (which I have never used) is an enhanced interactive
> python shell.  Perhaps this could do what I want - does anyone have
> experience with iPython?

Several here use it but that is a development tool not the
final application. However you might like to investigate
the cmd module... It could be very helpful.

> 4) does anyone have strong recommendations for or against using
> matplotlib?  Is it low maintenance for producing graphs, or does it
> take lots of user interaction?  All the example pictures I see are
> very pretty, but it is not clear how much effort is needed to generate
> them - or is it just a "well know to those who know it well" thing?

I haven't used it seriously but those that do seem to find it works OK.

HTH,

--
Alan Gauld
Author of the Learn to Program web site