[Tutor] Change a text string from a list and change it into an integer number.(WinXP/py2.6.2/Beginner)

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Fri Nov 6 09:44:51 CET 2009

"Katt" <the_only_katala at verizon.net> wrote

> date = "cyear_11_05"
> date2 = date.split("_")
> check_year = date2[0]
> if check_year == "cyear":
>    year = localtime().tm_year
> else:
>    year = int(date2[0])
> print year
>
> Did I do the slice incorrectly?  I thought that when you take the first
> location (0) of a list then it would take the "cyear" in stead of just
> the "c".

When debugging this kind of thing insert some print statements
to check what date2 and check_year really look like. Or try using
the >>> prompt to experiment until you are happy with the behaviour
of the function with differernt sample data.

HTH,

--
Alan Gauld
Author of the Learn to Program web site