[Tutor] class Knights vs class Knights(object)

Wayne Werner waynejwerner at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 18:10:21 CET 2009

For class definitions I've always used

class Knights:

but I've just seen an example using:

class Knights(object):

So I did a quick little test and see this:

>>> a = Knights()
>>> b = Knights2()
>>> a
<__main__.Knights instance at 0xb7e12bec>
>>> b
<__main__.Knights2 object at 0xb7e12b2c>

and my question is what is the difference between the two? Is there a
difference other than one is an object the other is an instance? I googled
"python object vs. instance" and didn't find anything terribly useful.

To be considered stupid and to be told so is more painful than being called
gluttonous, mendacious, violent, lascivious, lazy, cowardly: every weakness,
every vice, has found its defenders, its rhetoric, its ennoblement and
exaltation, but stupidity hasn’t. - Primo Levi