[Tutor] moving directories into directories

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Thu Nov 12 10:10:37 CET 2009

"Christopher Spears" <cspears2002 at yahoo.com> wrote

> I'm trying to move a bunch of files and directories into another
> directory.
> Unfortunately, I keep getting an error message:

> OSError: [Errno 17] File exists: './TAPE_ARCHIVES'
> The problem seems to happen when I try to move a directory into another
> directory:

I think what is happening is that you are trying to copy something that
has an equivalently named item already existing in the target. When
you do this at a UI the OS asks if you want to replace it, but in a program
it can't do that so it throws the exception. You need to handle that case
catching the exception and ignoring it, or stopping or whatever.

Alan Gauld
Author of the Learn to Program web site