[Tutor] opening a file directly from memory

mjekl at iol.pt mjekl at iol.pt
Tue Nov 17 19:37:08 CET 2009

> Alan Gauld wrote:
>> <mjekl at iol.pt> wrote
>>> Yes. My program knows. A database column stores the complete file
>>> name  (including extension), and I can be certain the applications
>>> will be  available to run the file.
>>
>> You still haven't answered the question.
>>
>> We have established that
>> a) The OS knows what program is associated with the file
>> b) your program knows the file name and location
>>
>> But does your program - or more specifically you as the author -
>> know what program the OS will use to open the file?

Yes. My program knows which program to use (that will be installed).
>> If you do you can call it explicitly, but if you do not then you
>> need to find a way of getting the OS to tell you, or to leave it to
>> the OS.
I'm interested in nthis for the sake of generalizing (which is
better). How can I get the OS to tell me which program to use. Or
alternatively, how to tell the OS to open it - assuming that since the
os knows which program to use it will just use it (perhaps too big an
assumption ;-)

>> For example a txt file could be opened by any of hundreds of text
>> editors, depending on what the user selected, but a Photoshop file
>> will typically only be opened by photoshop.
>>
>> HTH,

Txs,
Miguel